Church Journals
June 21, 2026
We said from the beginning of this chapter in our lives that as much as possible we would try to attend a church service at whatever location we found ourselves in; that this time of Sabbatical is for a purpose of finding rest for our souls, healing for our hearts, and glorifying God.
Lake Roosevelt Bible Church was our first dip into visiting a church where we did not know anyone. It was Father's Day weekend and we had tucked into a Marina on Lake Roosevelt for two nights. We ate one meal out and then cleaned the boat. On Sunday morning we rode our e-bikes up amazing hills above the lake to our destination.
The people there were very welcoming, greeting us at the door with the smell of coffee brewing, and curious about who we were and where we were from. The congregation was small, mostly middle aged to older folks, a few children. The building was newer yet practical with stained concrete floors, clean and cool in the air.
The piano player was the pastor’s wife, he led the singing. Basically, he led the whole service and people seemed ok with that. They were the kind of church where everyone stood and sang while watching the song lyrics on the screens in the front of the sanctuary. This church sang mostly hymns but a few modern praise songs.
The message was from the Word of God, about the children of Israel and walking in obedience no matter what we are going through. It was about faithfulness and God’s provision and praising God in hard times. Title: The Right Response to the Father’s Discipline…
They had a coffee and pastry break afterward but we headed back downhill to the boat. They were a Bible based praying kind of congregation. We left encouraged and inspired.
Sunday, July 13, 2026
First Christian Church, Dalles, OR
Where Your Trust Lies Matt 6:19-24
This congregation was much larger than the last one we visited. Still very friendly people at the door and sprinkled throughout. Mostly older ladies presented themselves to welcome me. One man welcomed Bruce. Some kind stranger gave us a bottle of water as we were winded from our bike ride, our way of transportation again.
There were the praise songs on the screen and the sharing of communion and more truth spoken from the word of God.
The pastor was good at drawing you to Jesus in Matt 6. He talked about where your treasure is. What do you treasure? Does what you have and own determine your worth? Do you treasure Jesus and His ways? He urged us to a Sabbath rest with our striving and doing; to know Jesus and treasure Him more than anything else.
It was a beautiful brick building. I loved it. Every experience has been good so far.
I needed it this morning. To be in church with other believers is so encouraging. We’re finding it doesn’t need to be what we’ve grown accustomed to, to be good for our souls.
July 19, 2026
Rainier Community Church of God
We didn’t have to ride our bikes to church this morning as this town is simple and a lot is within reach. Walking is fun here. So we walked.
We had our reservations about attending church this morning. We have been here since Friday and many times the people will either ignore or avoid you when you meet on the sidewalk, docks, or street. One lady was friendly and chatted with us on the dock while we had our coffee on Saturday morning. The waitress at the restaurant we went to the first night we arrived in town was very awkward with my questions and requests about the items on the menu. I have a gluten intolerance so I am vigilant to take care of that. She gave me a blank stare and refused to find out what her kitchen served or didn’t serve. So I felt like a little pip squeak and apaininthebutt. I settled for a hamburger, no bun, which I do all the time and vowed to not ask any more questions.
Anyway, expectations were low for our visit to the church we decided to attend, but we longed and hungered for time with other believers, so we walked into town all spiffed up and found our way to the front door of a blue building, nothing fancy but neat and tidy.
Every church we have attended so far seem to be out doing each other in friendliness. They have welcoming committees stationed in the entry ways, smiles and handshakes abundant, and questions of where we are from and thank you’s for coming. So let me just say…We were wrong about the people of Rainier, Oregon. They were stellar folk.
And unpredictable too. I expected them to play hymns and be sedate and slow, judging from the varied ages of the congregation, but again it was the opposite. There were guitars and drums, loud and raucous, complete with repetitive lyrics of praise songs I didn’t know. That surprised me as well as I have always been a fan of praise songs and know a lot of them. Just when I had given up on knowing any of the songs well enough to truly worship, we sang the hymn, What Can Wash Away My Sin, and it was beautiful.
The message Mark 1:12-20 Gospel Centered Living
It was a good message about growth, times of testing, wilderness journeys, and what true repentance really looks like. We heard the gospel of Jesus.
I think next Sunday we get to be home, back in Newport for a little and then Bonners Ferry the following. It has been so good to find other believers, but I am looking forward to a Sunday of worship the way that feels normal to us.
Much has been learned for me to take back...I can definitely do better at being a welcoming committee by greeting people at the door. I am going to ask better questions and be more attentive to the strangers that attend. And I want to be bolder in my conversations about Jesus with others.
Assembling yourselves together is needed for so many good reasons and I am so thankful for it.
I am surprised to hear me say it. The importance of the body of Christ and attendance has not been one of the easier things for me to learn. But thank God I finally am in my older years.

Comments
Post a Comment
I love hearing from you and I want to know your perspective; please share!