Skip to main content

Joy in the Walk Alone...Or Learn to Tie Your Own Shoes

 



How can I tell you more about joy and rejoicing without sounding preachy and like I know anything? Because I do know more about joy every day. And it is worth preaching about. But you have to be there to understand it. IYKYK...But please! Can't it be put into words?

After my last blog post, I went home and had to practice rejoicing in an extremely difficult situation. My suffering and pain was, as usual, of the emotional kind. Some of us are given this gift of getting to experience the highs and lows without very much level ground. I'm calling it a gift because this is the way through to rejoicing. How I think about the trial in my story changes completely if I can recognize that God is with me in it.

Not denying that there is a trial. But lifting the trial to Jesus to carry and rejoicing in what He is doing that I cannot see. Trusting and resting in Mighty God for His care of me in what feels like rejection and sorrow. And smiling through the tears. Because I joy in Him. I find strength in Him, the Author and Finisher of my faith, who for the prospect of eternal joy with His own dear heavenly Father, endured the cross...that is worth a whole lot of rejoicing.

The part I wish I could explain better...Everyone can have this joy. Everyone needs to know this on a personal level. Also...Nobody can do it for you. Going to church faithfully is not an automatic entrance into joy. Living as righteous as a life as you were taught or are able, by following all the rules won't get this joy inside of you. You can't borrow it and it's not a virus that can be passed around. You cannot be grandfathered in...it won't stay in the family without you finding it for your own soul's salvation.

But it's not only for famous seasoned christians like Corrie Ten Boom and Amy Carmichael. It's also for anyone willing to live fully for Jesus without blaming their parents, the church or anyone else that has wounded them deeply. This is a truth that I wish I could make everyone understand. You can't blame others for your lack of knowledge or joy in your journey.

At some point in life you must learn to tie your own shoes. It's wonderful if we can go to church with believers whom you can trust to speak truth from the word of God. That is an added benefit of having a local body of Christ where you attend. But it is wrong of you if you are only depending on that to feed your soul and develop your growth in Jesus. You are responsible for you and your responses to life's greatest lessons and you will only learn these lessons if you learn them with Jesus on a personal level.

I recently heard someone give what they thought was a great explanation to how we should love each other in church. How we should trust that if we are missing something in our spiritual lives, our brothers and sisters in Christ are going to be there for you and catch it for you. The idea was, "I got your back". While it maybe sounds like a plan; I think it is mostly lazy. We need to be doing our own homework. In buying real estate they call it due diligence.

In the book of Acts, Paul encouraged the Bereans to go home and search the scripture to see if these things were so, as they were learning how to do church for the first time in history. I think that is still a great way to do today. If you have to go home from Sunday morning church and debrief your kids on what they heard I think that is a good thing to do. I don't care how solid your place of worship is, this is what we should be doing in our homes anyway. Constantly.

We have to stop blaming other people for our lack. If you lack joy and peace, that is not the church's fault. If someone was un-Christlike to you, that would be on them. You look to Jesus. You stop the anger and bitterness and you do the right thing. Which is seeking the face of Jesus all alone if that is all there is.

I know there is so much comfort and encouragement in having a church family. This is a benefit. But if you cannot learn to walk alone with Jesus and let Him be your fullness of Joy, let Him be your first place of refuge, Your Defender, your Healer, your Everything...you're going to be a drain until you can let Jesus be your All in All. First. 

If you are letting anyone steal your joy, take your crown, and are wallowing in self pity, that is on you. You must learn the ability of walking with Jesus through all the highs and lows. Then you can go to church with people who don't say it right or do it like you think. You can go to seek the face of Jesus together with out the blame and shame game. 

Looking unto Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith...count it all joy...This is stuff worthy of rejoicing. 

Comments

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and I want to know your perspective; please share!