Skip to main content

In Desert Places

 



My desert place is probably different than yours. But I think we all go through times that could be defined as a desert. For me it is a lonely place. A great discomfort and time of listening and accepting the fire I go through as a way for God to get my attention and teach me that this huge gap of loneliness is opportunity for God's goodness to shine...He breaks apart all my props and false securities to get to the real deal in my desert times.


The sand under my feet in these times is too hot to bear alone. I'm driven to my knees asking God for HELP. The occasional oasis is too far and few between my need for strength, yet I must keep focused on my Guide to get to it. I must not doubt it is there, neither must I be distracted by the mirages I see along the way. I get up and keep walking toward the goal that is unseen.


I journey wisely. Pacing myself with divine strength and using trust as a propellant because I am not there yet and don't know when I will be. All I know is if I keep checking in with my Guide and Map{the Word of God} I will find that oasis. Because it is where God said it was; He knows the route. He has gone before me. He is with me even now in the driest, hottest of times. 


At the oasis, I refresh, cool water dripping down my face, wading in over my head to heal my dirt and grime and blisters. Always keeping in mind I cannot stay here. To get through the desert I have to leave the oasis. There is more sand to traverse, more heat, and more snakes, scorpions, thugs, and thieves to conquer. 


I leave the oasis thankful. I am filled with courage and dread at the same time. because I have been renewed yet know there is more ahead to distract and discourage me.


One thing I have learned as I walk and sometimes stumble is seeing the good my Guide points out as He trains me to focus on Him. The waves on the sand formed by the winds twirling it around this way and that. A scrubby bush with a few, bright yellow desert flowers...a true beauty standing alone against the stark landscape. A spider web hanging carefree from the bush. The cloudless blue of the sky unending like God's love for me. And again, the sand flitting its many colors red, orange, pink, and white rippling, then dipping into little valleys and mountains at my feet; indescribable and constant like the Father's love.


Other people along the way are brought to my attention. There are needs where I can be of a help. There is love to show. There are kindnesses to extend. There is the Father's love I have been so abundantly given to share. I have been to the oasis so I am able to encourage and testify.


I might never be out of the desert so I choose to keep walking. I continue to be thankful and I stay vigilant looking for the beauty and good in my surroundings. Not to look for things that make me feel better, but to stay focused on my Guide. Where He takes me; I will follow. If I come to a green pasture I know it is a time for restoring my soul but it doesn't change my frame of mind. I won't become fat and lazy in goodness.


I will remember that any time of reprieve is a gift that God gives but also that I am training to be on the ready even in green pastures. When it is time to take another walk through the desert I go again because I know it's in the desert places that my dependency on God rules my every move. This is what grows my faith and trust in my Guide. This is where I learn to love the unlovely and forgive the unforgivable. This is where God becomes my Everything; my All in All.

Comments