Skip to main content

Purpose



I live in a world of overachievers. Although, who's to say what that is? Just because I think it, doesn't mean it is so. It is possible, I am an underachiever. Whatever it is, there does appear to be a conflict of application. 

Enough with the generalizations. It is my opinion that many of us (good Christian citizens) put too much stock in 'doing' and good works. I'll start with my own. I taught school for four years while my husband did four years of nursing school. There were varying opinions on this matter, whether what we were doing was praiseworthy or just plain stupid. 

Mostly people were supportive whether or not they completely cared or understood. But it didn't keep opinions away. It was kind opinions, all positive in our hearing, but because I would prefer to remain anonymous or at least partly incognito about my life, even this was a bit painful. To all of you who thanked me and encouraged me during my four years of teaching, Thank you! I am not saying that made me feel upset. Maybe a bit squirmy but I knew you meant it as encouragement.

My point is, we were just doing what God gave us to do. It was as ordinary as anything else in God's eyes. One of my pet subjects is the way we lift up certain callings or offices or the amount of money we make as levels of security, fame, or spirituality. What people do and how they perform is often measured and judged. It completely goes against Matthew 6 teaching of humble living and giving.

We set people up to fail when we assume that because they are serving as missionaries in a less than desirable location that they are more spiritual, have more stamina and strength in the things of heaven, or have a key into the kingdom. They are ordinary saved by grace sinners the same as you or I no matter how much they fast and pray and have church services with the natives. If we lift them up and expect they are closer to God than we are ever able to be then we have lifted them above what God wants any of us to feel or think for a human being.

In our neighborhoods where we are currently living comes the true test. Living today, normally and humbly at the foot of the cross, giving what we have, generously and abundantly to the needs at our doorstep, this is more important than what is considered to be 'important'. For some it is being a doctor, nurse, or security guard. For others, it may be doing the laundry, shopping for groceries, or gardening. All of it matters and is important. This is purpose.

I'm glad there are people that inspire and do powerful things that cannot be looked upon any other way. To save a life and a soul is truly a God-given talent and blessing. This cannot be denied. But to understand that it is the heart of the giver, doer, and achiever that God is interested in, this is the thing that matters. It is just a little bit tiresome to listen to a conversation of those involved in the big things and see them lifted to the light and talked about in a manner that applauds themselves for being involved and open to helping. As if the rest of us ordinary littles aren't doing or helping the thing God has put in our pathways. 

Anything, any cause that says 'look at the good things I am doing', reeks more of self glory than God glory. And we know the nothing in my hands I bring concept...its simply because of the cross we are able to be or do anything.

Absolutely, if God gave you a job to do or a calling you cannot deny, go for it. Do it. But do it humbly without judging the ones who are called to the ordinary, boring and common parts of living. We are all needed for all tasks.We have a higher purpose than the purpose itself. We do what we do because God shows us what is good for us to do and what is required of us. To do justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with our God, this is clear direction for all of us, the big and the little.

I think God is most often found in the ordinary everyday parts of life. And to Him it's all ordinary and everyday when you are doing it for Him and not for the glory of man. To God be the glory.

Comments