Skip to main content

Ending Well

 

The week between Christmas and the New Year is one of my favorite...maybe I like it even more than Christmas. I love the cleaning up, evaluating, and closure of one year's accumulation. 

I don't feel bad if I don't reach all my goals. This year I wanted to read at least 23 books in honor of 2023. I felt that should be fairly attainable since I would call myself an avid reader. However, I did not read that many books. Camper living while building a house is a lot harder than it looks. And I had a very nice "wait and see" garden to keep up with as well. But I am happy to say I still read 13 or 14 books plus my Bible quite faithfully. So that is better than not having made a goal and tried at all. Right?

I put away Christmas on the 26th. By that, I mean, the decor. The pine and ribbons and tree. All gone. Put away. And the feeling of light and air and freshness inspires me greatly. I see surfaces again. My house plants take back their place in the living room under their favorite window. They seem happier too.

I've been thinking about rewards lately. When I was teaching school, I used reward systems only briefly. They were a tool for about five minutes to grab attention and bring hope to a discouraging situation. But truthfully, the accomplishment of a thing was best learned when the reward system wasn't the goal anymore. When a student conquered a spelling list, their self worth and self satisfaction were far better motivators than any prize I could've given.

And so it should be for a follower of Jesus. If you are getting through a tough thing by telling yourself you will have a reward in heaven. Well, good for you. For me, though, and I think there are others like me, there is a pretty big disconnect between living for Jesus in the heat of a moment or lengthy challenge and that eternal reward.

It also reeks of works and "I am a good person". It takes away from the truth that all my righteousness is as dirty rags. The mentality of rewards in heaven and stars in my crown as something visible that I or other souls can see, makes me feel very uncomfortable and squirmy. And I don't plan on feeling squirmy in heaven.

I think the reward of something is best observed in obscurity. It's between God and me what all went on at the foot of the cross. That I did all the things I did because I love Jesus and obeyed His word. Because the Holy Spirit was at work in my heart, mind, and soul, I changed. I grew. I forgave. I worshipped. 

 God can do what He wants with my rewards in heaven. And I want Heaven and Rest and the End Of All This Earthly Turmoil...Oh, yes I do. That will be reward enough for me. But I don't do all those things...love, obey, change, grow, forgive, and worship for a reward. I do them because I can't function as a christian without doing them.

Whatever your goals are for the new year, do them for your love and devotion for Jesus. Chase those things that teach you more of Him. Grow in His grace. Observe and learn His righteousness. Forgive that bad thing that happened to you and that one person your mind won't let you stop noticing... their stupidities and ignorances. As Christ forgave you. Keep after praise and worship to God, the Parter of the Red Sea and the One Who Holds Your Right Hand.

Comments

  1. I like this a lot. It's too easy to feel like all the hard work is nothing unless it gets noticed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and I want to know your perspective; please share!