Skip to main content

What's in your Cup


I just now noticed there is the reflection of a pine tree in this cup...

Anyhow. Yes, this "cup" thought has been marching around my head for at least a month so I thought I'd share it with you. Probably not a new thought. To me it seems like good, solid ground in these, volatile days.

I've spent whole seasons of my life not liking what was in my cup and refusing to drink it. I thought I knew better maybe? Or perhaps I didn't get the concept of what the cup really meant for a follower of Jesus.

Psalm 16:5 KJV The Lord is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup; thou maintainest my lot.

When I have nothing left, no inheritance, no future, nothing is working out according to my plans; when my life is too difficult for words, when I am bone tired of striving...all this...only THEN can God be my portion and cup.

But nobody wants to be in that place where you recognize... this is me. Denial is easier. It's much better to post pictures on Instagram of my good life. Matte finished, filters that color, almost capable of making one feel magical  just looking at them; eye candy.  No one wants to see your messes of sticky jam-making with a slop bucket in the background. You would never share the mundane corner in which you sort smelly laundry or the conversation that turned out ugly and mean when you tried to communicate something of importance to your kids or husband or friend. The meaningless tasks you do over and over and over again. The boring, the painful. 

Yet truly, this is your portion and cup. This is your life. And Jesus  after his own betrayal, during his own betrayal; took bread. And when he had given thanks, he brake it and said, "Take, eat: this is my body which is broken for you, this do in remembrance of me." After the same manner also he took the cup. When he had supped, saying"This cup is the new testament in my blood, this do ye. As oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me." 
1 Cor. 11: 23-25 KJV

Thou maintainest my lot. Trust. God doesn't need my thoughts, agendas, or plans. He needs my trust. God wants to hear my heart's desires, my longings, my pain, but He wants to hear it along with thanksgiving and praise. He wants my trust while I give him those things.

We don't have to drink from this cup. We can push it away and ask that it it be taken from us. Jesus did. Luke 22:42 KJV But Jesus also surrendered to his father by the attitude of trust. Nevertheless not my will, but thine be done.

I like what's in my cup. Finally. It's life. My cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy. And it isn't matte finished, filtered, or photo shopped. It's authentic and real. A little taste of bitter from time to time when I forget the sweetness of trust, but the tang of self denial, the smell of Jesus in my lungs. Weeds to pull. Thorny brush to cut from my gardens. Overflowing with abundant life because I choose to drink from this cup given to me. He is my portion in a world gone mad.

 People saying Jesus meant something other than what he said and taught. People shouting and screaming at each other to listen and understand them when all along they should be believing. Lord, the world is not liking what is in their cup. Teach us how to drink our portion. 

Jesus meant what he said about peace and joy and abundant life. We don't get those things turning our cups up-side-down refusing to drink from and receive of the life He wants to give.

Fill my cup, Lord
I lift it up, Lord





Comments