Skip to main content

Vacation...

Our vacation has been truly magical.  I could not have picked a better one.  It started with going to Spokane and watching a performance of The Handel's Messiah. It was the first time the kids saw one.  That it took place in an old, beautiful church while sitting in the balcony, with an old choir book, following the words and music, made it even more memorable. The event set the tone for finishing up school and preparing for vacation and company.


The final week of school went smoothly and the kids did very well indeed with their Christmas program.  I was given so many beautiful gifts, that I felt guilty and a little bit fat.  Chocolate will do that you know. On Saturday, we did a final cleaning at the school and then headed to our closest ski lodge as a family.     
We took the mail jeep because of various reasons.  When all the boards, skis, and helmets were packed into the back, I turned around to see this.  I felt like a totally cool mom taking my kids to Schweitzer and then hubby climbed in beside me in blue jeans san snow pants, and I lost my cool feeling.  He skis once every other year, says he, why does he need snow pants?  

 Toria did really fine.  It was her first time on the mountain and also the first time boarding.  Shaunti stayed with me in the lodge.  I was able to watch them from the windows and visit with other friends that were doing the same. Did I ski?   I have tried skiing four different times and finally realized the lodge windows are very thrilling for me.  I would have been very hippy chick, had I taken a knitting project...
 I know Christmas is over, but your family will love you if you make this simple candy for them yet this year.  It has four ingredients... Brown sugar, butter, nuts, and chocolate chips.  Just saying.  It's simple, fast, and makes a mom feel like a success, at least briefly.
 I had time in the five days before company to make the neighbors cinnamon rolls.  Then I felt jealous of the memory of the eating of them and tried to make my own gluten free.  They weren't as good as my memory would have liked and I came back to, why bother?  Life is good without cinnamon rolls. Not really, but I have to think so, since I can't seem to make good gluten free breads of any kind.  If you can, I wish you lived nearby...I would pay good money for a truly good cinnamon roll that is gluten free...
                                        Christmas morning... opening gifts at home... Aren't those big kids just precious?  That huge boy is almost 16 and now has his drivers license.  He already is gaining momentum in independence.  Since last Monday, he thinks he can go pretty much to the moon and back and that mom really doesn't need to know.  I am adjusting kinda.
                            We gave American Girl Doll outfits for both the girls and their dolls...
                And then over to the Hartman Christmas at the rental house... games, puzzles, talk, and hot tub...
    Another gift exchange and Christmas dinner...Sorry about the darkness... still learning the best      settings on my camera... These pictures are for Kari and Craig especially...And Jeff and Jo... We    missed you all...
                   There is a steep hill right outside those big windows to practice sledding and boarding...If you want to see funny things go look at Lora Zehr's facebook. There are a few snowboard bloopers...
                                                        Precious niece and baby doll..




  And the best part... We have another whole week till we go back to school...and work...
  Forward into the long, cold winter...
  See you next year...

Comments

  1. We schlurped this post up like candy and then went to loras fb and enviously watched the snow videos. The kid even!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and I want to know your perspective; please share!