Skip to main content

He Takes Pleasure In Us

I've always loved the imagery I see when reading Revelation 4:11; the picture of the four and twenty elders, bowing and saying, " Thou are worthy O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.  It is a verse with such majesty and of placement; a verse that puts the priorities of life where they belong.

A couple of my students needed to memorize the verse for part of an assignment last week, and then in church this morning a visiting pastor had his message based off this same verse. Isn't that just like God? I was already impressed with the verse last week, especially the part about being created for God's pleasure. I thought it was over, then, was privileged of going a little farther and deeper.

I watch my children when they aren't aware of it:  Laife, as he plays his guitar and makes adjustments on his bike or while he does his homework. In Toria, I am intrigued by her elegance and natural beauty, her interest in books and in learning.  Shaunti is happiest when she is snuggling with her real, live dog, whispering sweet nothings into his ear or smooching him on his wet nose. She is also oblivious to the world as she teaches her favorite doll, math lessons. Watching them enjoy life, doing things they are naturally drawn to and enjoy, these things bring me pleasure.

How do we bring pleasure to God? Do we do it without knowing it, and because we love Him and live for Him?  Is it some the same way I find pleasure in watching my children? Maybe a little.

I think I bring pleasure to God in being His and in being adaptable to the things He brings into my life. I bring God pleasure while I obey, serve, and live whole heartily for Him without noticing my goodness and in not putting any emphasis on any achievements. as if they were my own anyway...  For His pleasure I was and am being created. He is the potter, I am the clay...


Comments